mercoledì 2 giugno 2021

Sea Elf Bolt-thrower - converted from a Dark Elf one (1991)

I've been looking hard to find a Sea Elf (slash High Elf) Bolt-thrower from WFB 3rd editions, and I was lucky. More than lucky, in fact, as fellow
Oldhammer Elf fan Tim Welch was so gallant to let me have some bits in need of love - a Dark Elf Bolt-thrower missing its original wheels and its crew. They had earlier been painted up but probably disassembled at some point. I stripped them and set myself to sculpt some new wheels with copper wire and greenstuff, which turned out okay-ish. Well, here they are.


They don't look too abysmal, I hope, as members of the Lustrian Sea Elf clan of the Silverpearl, inhabiting the Elf island off the coast of the Imperial Slann city of Osshual. Known for their craftiness in trade and diplomacy, the Silverpearls have a long history in Lustria, which they credit to their habit of not entering melee. They let other, smaller, younger and less important clans join the fray for them. The Silverpearls man the bolt-throwers.

 
The original crew sculpts looks like a proper militia, none of them having similar armour or equipment. I painted them accordingly, tying them together by the use of similar colours: a garish cyan, off-white and black. They all have a similar, pale shell on the base.

4 commenti:

  1. As I was saying on facebook, I think these look ace! I've often considered getting a dark elf crew and painting them up for my sea elves, so it's nice to see how well that works. I struggle with the bolt-thrower itself though... often contemplate stripping mine and starting again, I just don't have a clear idea of how it should be painted to really pop.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Thanks Richard! The crew are not the best sculpts in that range - they don't even scale well with each other - but they are suitably vintage to go well with any 3rd edition army or older. I agree on the bolt-thrower: I also struggled to find a good colour scheme - whitish wood, natural rope and silver decorations result in a bland look. I have another bolt thrower complete with wheels that I need to paint, and I think I will add some flashy details to make it stand out. Perhaps motifs painted directly on the wood.

      Elimina
    2. I can't believe I didn't remember to say, amazing job on the wheels! They look exactly like the originals, I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't said.

      Here's hoping you can get to BOYL - if you can, let's plan a game of some sort!

      Elimina
    3. Thanks! Unfortunately at the moment it seems unlikely that I can make it to BOYL. Too many variables still... but I do remember we have an unresolved conflict between two Sea Elf crews to play, sometimes :) or anything else, really, I haven't played a game at all for over one year!

      Elimina