giovedì 13 febbraio 2020

Warhammer Fantasy Cottage: an experiment 28 years later

 
White Dwarf 130, published in October 1990, had an excellent article titled "Warhammer Fantasy Cottage", by Dave Andrews and Phil Lewis. It was so good that it is still celebrated today in plenty of blogs. I decided to had a go at it: it was my very first time making a building out of foamboard.

It turned out that the difficult part was getting materials - foamboards are exceedingly difficult to find, at least in Italy, where you might need to ask stationery shops, art shops, paint shops, photocopy centres or DIY depots depending where you live, and each of them has a different and limited selection.


The easy part was actually building it. I am not a skilled builder, but somehow ended up with an almost decent thing. It greatly improved after painting, although I did the terrible mistake of priming it in grey, so that white spots keep showing in the recesses. Next time for sure I'll prime it black.

Another big mistake was making the chimney out of Das clay, as suggested by the article: pieces of Das clay are difficult to stick together and on board and I am sure that the stones are going to come off sooner than later.

One thing I am happy with, on the other hand, is that the roof is removable, so the inside of the cottage can also be used. That's going to be convenient in many games.


Overall the cottage is much better than my expectations: next time, I'll try something larger!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento